Monmouthshire County Council supports Fair Trade in the county. The range of support for Fair Trade in the county is shown by:-
- Monmouthshire County Council has passed a resolution supporting Fairtrade, and agrees to serve Fairtrade products (for example, in meetings, offices and canteens).
- A range of Fairtrade products are readily available in the area’s retail outlets (shops, supermarkets, newsagents and petrol stations) and served in local catering outlets (cafés, restaurants, pubs).
- Local workplaces and community organisations (places of worship, schools, universities, colleges and other community organisations) support Fairtrade and use Fairtrade products whenever possible.
- Media coverage and events raise awareness and understanding of Fairtrade across the community.
- A local Fairtrade steering group is convened to ensure the Fairtrade Town campaign continues to develop and gain new support.
Monmouthshire Fair Trade Fortnight 2020 – County Events
Monmouthshire Fair Trade – Schools Conference 2020
Monmouthshire Fair Trade ran a stall at the 2016 National Eisteddfod in Abergavenny.
The main part of the stall was a “fishing”game where show attenders tried to catch floating plastic bananas using a magnet on the end of the fishing rod! If the banana had a Fair Trade logo, they got a prize, either a real banana or a very small chocolate bar. Also, a Fair Trade member walked around the Eisteddfod site in a banana costume carrying a plastic inflated banana!